This Joint Service Centre is a modern, multi-agency (predominantly public service organisations) facility whereby local residents can easily access a range of face-to-face services from across organisations which form part of a “chain of care”, or are complementary to ensuring that people experiencing disadvantage and / or having complex needs can receive services in an appropriate and timely manner. The pleasant and welcoming environment forms a “hub” for the whole community.
The site included an existing library constructed in 1929 which has been retained due to its prominence as a local public building and community hub for the past 80 years.
A key driver was to create a strong differentiation between new and old, whilst respecting the form and function of the existing library. A delicate glass roof links the structures and the original external walls are exposed within the new internal space.